Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cactus Bugs

Both of these insects are types of leaf-footed bugs I spotted the other day on a cow's tongue prickly pear.

This one is called a Chelinidea vittiger.  I like how the legs perfectly match the the spines and 'leaves.'
On another pad, I saw two of them (one facing away).
Here is one syphoning a flower bud


 This one is some sort of Narnia species, I believe.  The head is a little out of focus, but the proboscis is extended into the flower bud. In finding out about these guys, I read that they typically go after developing seeds, so it was kind of cool to see this one going for the developing flower.  Maybe there is nectar in there.
And there were two of these guys, too. 
Here is that proboscis tucked under.
 To help identify it, I went back for a dorsal shot.
Species femorata? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment